Seize your skis gang, it’s time for the Winter Olympics! Snow lovers from all over the world are gathering for this frosty competition of sport, so let’s try some Winter Olympics information…
The following Winter Olympics are occurring from 4-20 February 2022. Don’t miss it!
Winter Olympics information…
1. All of the occasions on the Winter Olympics happen in snow and ice!
These frosty competitions embrace ice skating, snowboarding, snowboarding and extra. Some intrepid athletes enterprise excessive into the mountains on wonderful cross-country ski races, whereas others compete indoors at specially-built venues.
2. The primary Winter Olympics had been held in 1924.
Round 250 athletes from 16 international locations competed in Chamonix, France. There have been 16 occasions, together with cross-country snowboarding, ski leaping, and ice hockey!
3. The Winter Olympics historically happen two years after the Summer season Olympics.
Nonetheless, for the reason that Summer season Olympic video games of 2020 had been moved to 2021 as a result of COVID-19 pandemic, the Beijing Winter Olympics of 2022 are following shut behind their sunny sibling!
4. Animals as soon as participated within the Winter Olympics!
Whereas they haven’t been invited to hitch in with official sports activities, horses and canines have each performed a task in ‘demonstration occasions‘. Canine-sledding featured within the 1932 Winter Olympics, whereas within the 1928 Olympics, horses demonstrated skijoring – an occasion that entails athletes being towed on skis behind riderless horses. Don’t strive that at dwelling, gang!
5. Athletes competing in skeleton bobsleigh hurtle down slopes at as much as 140kmph!
Sliding on boards the width of their physique, these athletes steadiness on their bellies and navigate round tight turns on a hair-raising course made from ice. Yikes!
6. Within the first Winter Olympics, girls had been solely allowed to compete in determine skating.
This continued till 1948, when snowboarding additionally grew to become a aggressive girls’s sport. Fortunately, girls can now compete in all sports activities on the Winter Olympics!
7. Marit Bjørgen from Norway has received probably the most medals of any Winter Olympian.
This wonderful cross-country skier has received a whopping 15 medals. She secured her title on the 2014 Winter Olympics, by profitable three gold medals!
8. Snow and ice as soon as needed to be introduced in by the military!
In 1964, the Winter Olympics had been set to happen in Innsbruck, Austria – however because the occasion loomed, the officers realised that there wasn’t sufficient snow! So, the Austrian military headed into the close by mountains and carted down greater than 38,200 cubic metres of snow and 20,000 blocks of ice!
9. Walt Disney was answerable for the opening and shutting ceremonies for one memorable Winter Olympics!
These occurred within the Squaw Valley, California, USA in 1960. In a quest to make the opening ceremony probably the most spectacular but, Disney’s efficiency included a whopping 3,700 musicians, 2,000 doves, and greater than 30,000 balloons!
10. Just one particular person has ever received gold in each the Winter and Summer season Olympics.
American Eddie Eagan grabbed a gold medal in boxing in the course of the 1920 Summer season Olympics in Antwerp, Germany. Then, greater than 10 years later, he scored one other within the 1932 Winter Olympics, as a part of a four-man bobsled crew. Wow!
Did you get pleasure from these Winter Olympics information? Tell us within the feedback beneath!